Thursday, December 31, 2009

Candlenut (Aleurites moluccana) Poison Antidote

First of all, Google for "poison control (your city)". If that doesn't help or takes too long, I've presented my own proposed antidote below. Please note that this is based on personal experience and knowledge, but has in no way been tested to the point of statistical proof. I posted this because I found almost no such data on the Web, and needed to find an antidote rapidly.

The Javanese people drink coconut water in case of accidental ingestion of raw candlenuts. You can try this if you have it on hand. I didn't. Here's what I did after ingesting about 5 raw candlenuts:

1. Drink 400ml of coconut cream. This will help to dilute the toxic candlenut oil, and saturate your fat absorption capability to some extent, preventing uptake into the bloodstream.

2. Take 1 level teaspoon of turmeric, and stir it into 200ml of water. If you don't have any, unsalted curry powder will have to do. Drink it all with 800IU of vitamin D3. Don't leave any powder in the glass. This will help to counteract any carcinogenic activity that may occur when the candlenut poison undergoes unpredictable chemical changes in your gut.

3. If you have grape skin extract pills, take one with water. If not, drink 200ml of red wine, or at worst, the same amount of red grape juice. If you don't have that, eat a couple handfuls of blueberries or red grapes or brown raisins. The goal here is to provide additional antitumor activity to complement the turmeric. We need to overwhelm any possible carcinogenicity triggered by the poison as it travels through the gut.

4. Eat 2 handfuls of nuts (not candlenuts!), preferably almonds. This will serve to further overwhelm your ability to absorb the oil contained in the candlenuts, and will provide vitamin E, a fat-soluble antiinflammatory. The selenium content may also provide antitumor activity, although not necessarily on a useful timescale.

5. Take 1g of fish oil. This fat-soluble substance will complement the vitamin E in the nuts to compete against the oils in the candlenuts, for both absorption and carcinogenic activity.

The main toxin in candlenuts is phorbol, which is water-soluble. (Many of its close chemical relatives are carcinogenic.) But I've tried to prevent absorption of the candlenut oil as well, as it might be an undiscovered secondary source of the toxic effects.

That's it!

When you've recovered (and hopefully had a chat with your local poison control center), here's what happened to me:

I have a rule that I never eat any new food without first reading about it from a trustworthy source. Certainly, I never eat more than one small piece the first time, in case I happen to trigger a dangerous allergic reaction. This one time, of course, I ignored both policies.

I was hungry for nuts while I was in the grocery store. So I snagged a bag of "Cander Nuts", which looked interesting, as I'd never tried them before. The bag was not labelled with any warnings.

By the time I got home, I was very hungry, as I still hadn't eaten. As it happened, I picked up a box of coconut cream during the same trip. Being a sucker for coconut cream, I tore open the box and swallowed about 100ml. (My gluttony might have saved me from a trip to the emergency room, as I just happened to have delivered the Javanese antidote immediately prior to ingesting the poison!)

Next, I grabbed a few candlenuts (about 5), and chucked them into my mouth. As I was chewing, I remembered that I ought to look them up on the Web. By the time I discovered that they were poisonous raw, I had just swallowed them!

I called California Poison Control, but no one answered after several minutes. Then the line went dead. (Thank you, bankrupt real estate market.)

Based on the only antidote info I could find on the Web, I needed to drink coconut water. But I didn't have any, and reasoned that any beneficial substance that could be found in coconut water, could be found in higher concentration in coconut cream. So I went on to drink 600ml (although I recommend 400ml, as I probably overdid it).

When I read about the tumor promotion activity of various phorbol derivatives, I thought of everything I had in the house that was water-soluble, and might counteract it. That's when I came up with the tumeric and grape skin extract.

Of course, I'll probably never know whether I got cancer from this event, which is probably unlikely anyway. On the other hand, I think I neutralized the poison, as I had no gastic problems whatsoever, save for a slightly stuffed feeling after drinking enough coconut fat for a week! Based on what I read, I should expect to be experiencing severe gastric distress at this point, which I am most definitely not.

If one day one person reads this blog, and it saves them from the poison, then I've spent my time well. And by the way, I did go back to the store and explain how their poorly labeled "Cander Nuts" were a public health hazard. They promised to contact the supplier.

34 comments:

  1. Thanks, this was a life-saver for me! I ate a couple thinking they were similar to macadamia nuts and just for fun I went to look them up on the internet for more information on them (to my horror). Lucky me, I have easy access to coconut water! Again, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. coconut water alone done it? I ate 5 nuts and after 2 hrs sleep i felt stomachache. I already drink 600ml of coconut water and just resting now. It will be alright isnt it?

      Delete
  2. Thanks a lot Laser. I made a similar goofup. Got up with all my body paining besides diarrhea.
    As someone into nutrition, I agree with turmeric advice. i lightly boiled it in milk + water with jaggery powder for taste & a pinch of black pepper for better absorption.

    Most of coconut cream cream is pasteurized hence partly spoilt. Going to buy some fresh coconuts later... :)
    http://MicroVitaSuperLife.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 weeks ago, I ate these nuts (raw) in Indonesia during holydays. We did not know nothing about the toxicity of candle nuts. I felt dizzy, started to sweat and had some diarrhea. It was a very bad experience. I would likeed to have read this blog before you eat
    nuts.

    Thank you for the information.
    Jorge from Spain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Contact the FDA (Food and Drug Administration in the United States) and file a complaint if you ate raw candle nuts and got sick. There should be a warning label on all bags of candle nuts that they should not be eaten raw. I have seen some bags that have a warning and other packages that do not have a warning. Here is a photo of a bag that has a warning: http://waynesword.palomar.edu/images/cannut4b.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanx dude!
    I saw these interesting nuts in an asian supermarket, between the macademia and the cashew, bought 100 gr., came home and ate about ten of them before thinking of googling it, luckily (I remembered something to do with toxicity of certain nuts and was curious to see how they look on the tree). Apparently there was a (small and insignificant) warning on the package on my case, but really, who reads the package?
    Tried your antedote - had some cocoa milk at home, mixed it with red wine, turmeric, almonds and some pomegranate syrup. It's been three hours now and I'm feeling OK, hopefully I'll stay that way! thanx a lot, you are the man! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. :-) thnaks for sharing. I understand why you would freak out reading about candle nuts being poisonous, but as far as I know they are only mildly poisonous. And only if eaten raw. Noone dies. Well if you eat like 2 kilos on one go I guess theres a risk... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. btw. I ingest turmeric occasionally to boost my health (is great for liver-support and hence detoxing). An easy trick to ingest it in larger amounts like 1 tsp as you talk about, is to mix it in a small portion of yogurt and then dilute it with water. you can add a pinch of salt or sugar as other commenters have proposed. This is an easy way to ingest it. Otherwise it can be difficult to mix the powder up and it doesn't taste very good on its own. yuck. This yogurt-trick can be used with any powders you want to take.

    Adding black pepper along with turmeric is an additional trick for that specific spice. the piperine-compounds boost the health-effects as much as 2000%! Recent studies found this amazing result. Talk about a cocktail-effect! 1-2 peppercorns is more than enough as you only need about 5-10 mg piperine and black pepper contains 3-9% of it. Use non-irradiated spices. Always. Organic spices are the best quality of all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the info. I have a tree and after 24 years finally it has fruited. I have been looking forward to eating some.
    Thanks to my clever girlfriend I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A friend brought me back some spices from a trip to Bali. They all said "Gift from Bali" on their labels, obviously packaged for the tourist trade. No warning label on the Candlenuts. I'd heard the name, but of course didn't know that they were poisonous when raw. I ate a small one. Soon after, I rinsed out my mouth and then brushed my teeth to get rid of the strange taste. If they had tasted better, I'm sure I would have eaten more of them. Then I started to read about them and found your blog...I drank a can of coconut milk, drank the turmeric in water, ate a lot of raisins and raw almonds, and also took two charcoal capsules. (One of the "candlenut antidote" websites listed the hospital procedure and suggested this.) I had diarrhea for a while, but it may well have been from all the raisins, coconut milk, or turmeric - which is apparently a laxative. I had no other symptoms and felt completely normal within a few hours. Now it's about 14 hours later, and I'm still alive! I didn't call a poison center because I didn't think I'd be in serious trouble from having eaten just one, and I knew they'd tell me to go to the E.R., which I tend to avoid.

    Your page came up first on Google and saved me a lot of trouble. Later, I looked around some more and didn't find anything as helpful as what you wrote. I read a whole gamut of information from fatal when eaten raw, to mildly toxic, to useful for losing weight. I was shocked to see what looks like raw candlenuts being sold for that purpose on Amazon!

    I don't know if my experience is useful to anyone, but mainly I wanted to thank you for writing and posting your suggestions. Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i live in bali, i have 2 big candlenut trees in my village, i get use to eat it raw since i was very young and there is no problem about it, its organic, unprocessed, all natural, but i never eat the one from the market, maybe they contain preservative....

      Delete
  10. Thanks. All I did was lick the fruit of one, but not knowing what it was, I asked a gardener who said, "They use that to string leis," and added, "cannot eat," when I mentioned the taste was sweet, like a banana.

    Recalling the sweetness of an accidental taste of antifreeze decades ago, I rushed home to look up Kukui.

    Lacking most of the ingredients you listed, I settled for a cup of coffee, D3, Fish Oil, and twoo handsful of peanuts, washed down with the prescribed 200 ml of Cabernet.

    Thanks again for inadvertently recommending wine early in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just brill reading the comments.
    Yeah,my Wife and I ate some of these little blighters. Then did the discovery thing and then had the hotel staff here in Singapore,deliver almonds,a coconut each(raw non poisonous type) and took that clever advice of a bottle of ''Jimmy Shiraz'' each! Bloody good idea too. We are feeling pretty wonderful and the wine made me horny as well !! Well ya know what came next!
    Yes it has to be said that sexual intercourse most definately makes it ALL better!!!! Bloody marvellous and the red too. All in all a cheaper arrangement than a $350 bill for a doctor! I spoke with one though. He was somewhat bemused about it all. He had never heard of 'em! He said that it was an internet ploy to get you to drink red wine! I didn't dare mention that my Wife and I pounded each other on the 'work bench'!! Such a hoot and laughed ourselves silly. Goodo mate. Ya started something here. Don't ya just love that colour red?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel thanKful for your turmetic antidote. <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel thanKful for your turmetic antidote. <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fresh ginger! Wash the peel and cut into pieces, hot water, wait a few min and drink this! You can also drink this slowly, with lots of water in between. I as well used Spascupreel, homeopathic pills for spasm of the intestines. A coconutcream block is also good to have, it's more concentrated than the milk, only you have to mix this with water. Same use as making a concentrated cacoamilk, where you only have to add water too.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow!! You saved me. I ate a few and immediately got a headache and my stomach felt very funny. My wife found your comments and Got me some coconut water. Thank you so much for this article

    ReplyDelete
  16. We are in Maleysia right now and took 1 piece each with my friend. My friend wanted to know what we eat. She told me that some people use these for losing weight and after that se found the poison part. Soon I also started to Google and found this page.
    We have been drinking lot of water, but I might go to buy some coconut cream.. Just in case. My friend is quite fine with this and ate only papaya. She thinks our bodys will handle this one piece.. Will see

    ReplyDelete
  17. We are in Maleysia right now and took 1 piece each with my friend. My friend wanted to know what we eat. She told me that some people use these for losing weight and after that se found the poison part. Soon I also started to Google and found this page.
    We have been drinking lot of water, but I might go to buy some coconut cream.. Just in case. My friend is quite fine with this and ate only papaya. She thinks our bodys will handle this one piece.. Will see

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nuez de la India is supposedly Candlenut. I dietary product. You eat 1/4 of the nut every night. It tastes so horrible, I can't imagine eating one from the grocery aisle. I just at 1/4, THEN found this. I was having a hard time finding anything but good info. I'm not convinced this is actually a candlenut, though they should be the same. They look similar, but smaller. We shall see...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do not eat those raw or at all if you can help it. I am so sick right now from those exact things. It took a couple weeks as I increased my dose but I feel awful and am hoping this feeling goes away soon

      Delete
  19. Fuck man, Thanks for your post. I just had it from local store. After 15 minutes, I had to vomit.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, Thanks for your post, this is the only post on the entire internet could give us practical help with candlenut poisoning.
    We are in central Java (jogja) and we bought a bag of candlenut to try a recipe of Soto Betawi ( javanese soup) - and started to eat the candlenut raw while cooking... Big mistake, we started to feel funny, stomach ache, nauseated,etc. Good thing we had coconut cream and turmeric powder..thanks so much
    Steve G.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, Thanks for your post, this is the only post on the entire internet could give us practical help with candlenut poisoning.
    We are in central Java (jogja) and we bought a bag of candlenut to try a recipe of Soto Betawi ( javanese soup) - and started to eat the candlenut raw while cooking... Big mistake, we started to feel funny, stomach ache, nauseated,etc. Good thing we had coconut cream and turmeric powder..thanks so much
    Steve G.

    ReplyDelete
  22. STAY AWAY from these; NOT everyone is so lucky!!! I had a patient come to the ER this week after consuming several raw candlenuts and unfortunately a short time later after the patient's arrival not much was able to be done to save him. He DIED due to the extreme toxicity and poisoning that came with the candlenuts!!! So please avoid these type of nuts in general if you want to save your own life

    ReplyDelete
  23. Am assuming the nasty tasting ones are more poisonous, just ate some mild tasty macadamia-like nuts.. my symptoms have been mild so far, but attempting to acquire any of these antidotes is proving tricky. Only have turmeric at home. Too bad I'm so broke I ate these kukui nuts off the ground lol I forgot they're toxic and only good for burning. Whoops

    ReplyDelete
  24. Currently sitting at the bedside while my partner is suffering from stomach cramp, feelings of nausea, a dry mouth and thinks he may vomit. He ate 6-8 candlenuts then we had dinner. He blamed my cooking for making him feel sick. I thought it may be the nuts. I found your blog. Thankyou. I had 1 nut and feel a little cramped in my tummy but he is in for a rough night. We tried the coconut milk and almonds. Didnt have the other ingredients. Thanks for the advice. Will keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Rough night. My partner didnt have the coconut milk and almonds till over an hour after he ate the evil nuts. I think they were in his system by then. Turns out he had about a dozen of them. He was ip a lot during the night with a bad tummy and is still feeling tender but is on the road to recovery. Nuts went in the bin.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Went to ER. Severe dehydration. Iv therapy for 3 days. Not worth it

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just ate the devil's nuts! I have a stomach ache and my girlfriend is praying to the porcelain gods as I type. We are both drinking coco water, almonds and charcoal tablets. Hoping she can hold down the next round of fluids or we are gonna have to head to the ER!

    ReplyDelete
  28. While in Hawai, I ate about 10 nuts while I was hiking. Soon I vomited like crazy, next I got diarrhea. I did not have any antidotum as I started to feel ok about 1 hour after eating. Not long ago, I did my liver test and it show that Gamma GT test is bad-this test indicate liver damage by alcohol or poisens. I do not drink alcohal.Any idea how I can help my liver after such a long time. Drinking coconut water now has probably no sens now?

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hey thanks heaps for this! My mom accidentally ate a sliver thinking it was already roasted. Got a fresh bag full of em harvested from a local tree here in Brisbane, Aus. We were planning to roast and dry (instead of just buying some from the shops) to use in curries. We're Indonesian so we knew not to eat kemiri raw but ehh mistakes were made anyway.

    My mom spent maybe half an hour writhing in stomach cramps, nausea, and shakiness, not knowing what was wrong before my dad told her it was still raw. Drank some coconut cream, turmeric and honey concoction, as well as some fish oil capsules.

    Puked out her breakfast but it's all fine now. She said it tasted delicious, like a sweet young coconut but with a macadamia texture. Sounds great but wont be trying it out anytime soon 😂😂 We'll still be roasting the rest of course as they are a heavily-used spice in or house. A shame that others on this blog chucked theirs out, they're really good for stews and curries. Definitely a story to tell our friends!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you for sharing all.
    I also bought it in a Asian shop thinking Hm interesting looks like other great nuts, let’s try them. Only later on when I took photo of it I realised they must be cook as it was on the small label. I ate just a few I think 5 and I was ok, but glad I know now and won’t eat it raw again.

    ReplyDelete